Friday, February 18, 2011

No Boundaries



by Alex Harvey

2/18/2011

Brett Eastburn believes you are a success if you choose to be. On January 20th, 2011, Neoga High School students learned firsthand that the only handicap in your life, is you. Brett explained this by sharing his own life stories, and demonstrating that he was far more than meets the eye. Brett was in 1971 with a congenital birth defect known as quad-membral limbs deficiency. "I was born this way. There's no medical reason why," says Eastburn. "I just believe that God put me here to help other people realize their own potential."

Not only is Brett a talented comedian, he is an accomplished football player, basketball player, baseball player, and wrestler. "I used to play football until my friends used me as the football. That spiral thing was killer," jokes Eastburn. At first glance, this may be hard to believe, but Brett proved to the students that he was far more than he seemed. "I want you to understand that handicaps are not what they appear to be. Just because someone looks like they may be handicapped, doesn't mean that they necessarily are." says Brett."You can do anything that you want to do.” Brett went above and beyond all our expectations. The students thought he was a hilarious, brilliant speaker, and genuinely enjoyed his presentation. Thank you, Brett!